About the Halberg Junior Disability Games
What is the Halberg Junior Disability Games (JDGs)?
The Halberg Junior Disability Games is an annual three day sports tournament open to 8-21 year olds with a physical or visual impairment.
The Games are a unique event in New Zealand and give athletes an opportunity to enjoy the thrill of competition, healthy comradery and make new friends.
Participants experience an authentic Games village environment and can try new sports while pursuing further sporting goals. For some the Games may be a stepping stone towards future sporting goals and even representing New Zealand in their chosen sport.
The Halberg Junior Disability Games was previously known as the Independence Games and the Halberg Disability Sport Foundation took over the hosting of the event in 2015.
- The Halberg Junior Disability Games celebrates success, courage, determination and FUN!
- It is an annual sporting event.
- Athletes come with their own personal goals. For some athletes, the goal is serious competition, with dreams of one day representing New Zealand at the Paralympics professionally. For others, the goal is to participate in sporting opportunities that they do not have the chance to pursue alone.
- All the sporting events are well organised, with the help of local sports clubs, and elective sports and social events are included alongside the competitive events.
- The Halberg Junior Disability Games is a skilful, action-packed event that offers competition, challenges, fun and excitement.
When are the Halberg JDGs?
The 2017 Halberg Junior Disability Games will be held on the 6th, 7th and 8th of October in Auckland.
Where are the Halberg JDGs?
The event will be held at King's College, Auckland (Golf Ave, Otahuhu)
Who is taking part?
The Halberg Junior Disability Games is open to athletes aged between 8 and 21 years with a physical or a visual impairment. The Games aim to provide options for all abilities and levels of participation.
Athletes can represent their region from anywhere in New Zealand and can take part as an individual or as part of a regional team.
Northland & Counties Manukau
021 995 951
Auckland & North Harbour
021 821 158
Waitakere & Auckland
027 457 9980
Bay of Plenty & Gisborne
027 290 2030
Taranaki, Whanganui & Manawatu
021 190 4881
Hawkes Bay & Wellington
021 550 943
027 224 8123
Otago & Southland
027 697 7177
Please visit the website or our Facebook page for any updates.
We look forward to having you part of the 2017 Halberg Junior Disability Games!